NEWS
01/19/2016 10:05 EST | Updated 01/19/2017 00:12 EST

As trial was to start, settlement reached in MLB TV dispute

NEW YORK — A lawyer for fans interested in less expensive alternatives to purchasing packages to watch their favourite baseball teams says a settlement has been reached with Major League Baseball.

Attorney Ned Diver said Tuesday that a preliminary settlement has been reached. He did not immediately describe the terms of the deal.

A trial that had been scheduled to start Tuesday in Manhattan federal court was cancelled.

Lawyers for baseball and an MLB spokesman did not immediately return messages seeking comment.

Lawyers for baseball had revealed in court papers this month that were planning to allow fans to buy single-team television packages for the first time this season. That had been a major complaint when fans filed the 2012 lawsuit.

Larry Neumeister, The Associated Press