NEWS
02/18/2016 10:38 EST | Updated 02/18/2017 00:12 EST

John Tory addresses media as city labour disruption looms in Toronto

Mayor John Tory told reporters he wants a deal with thousands of city workers, and he wants it today. 

Tory, speaking at city hall, said the city's negotiating team has put a reasonable offer on the table. The offer comes less than 24 hours until thousands of city workers represented by CUPE Locals 416 and 79 could go on strike.

"I don't believe there is any reason for a labour disruption," Tory said. 

Negotiations between the city and CUPE Locals 416 and 79, which combined represent more than 25,000 indoor and outdoor city workers, are now in their final hours.

As of 12:01 a.m. Friday, Local 416 workers will be in a legal strike position, with Local 79 workers also having the option to strike as soon as Saturday.

Tory has previously warned there's a "real chance" of a labour disruption in the city.

In the event of a labour disruption, there will be significant impacts to services and programs, the city said last week in a news release. The two unions staged a 36-day strike in the summer of 2009, which saw garbage pile up across the city while summer camps and swimming pools had to close.

On Wednesday, union leaders told reporters they had withdrawn some demands and were hoping city negotiators would "meet us halfway." According to leaders, the unions are focusing on five key points:

- Job stability.

- Maintaining health and wellness for front line workers.

- Gender equity in the workplace.

- A modest wage increase.

- No concessions in bargaining.

Deputy Mayor Denzil Minnan-Wong said the negotiations are fluid and the city is working hard to reach a resolution.

"Neither of us want a strike, neither of us want a labour disruption," said Minnan-Wong, who also serves as chair of the city's employee and labour relations committee, on Wednesday.

Mayor may talk money

Tory is also expected to discuss the $10.1 billion 2016 city budget, which passed late Wednesday night.

The police budget, which topped $1 billion for the first time in Toronto's history, remained untouched despite the efforts of some councillors. Tory's 1.3 per cent property tax increase also remained in tact.

The property tax increase, along with an additional 0.6% to fund the Scarborough subway, translates into homeowners paying an extra $72.26 a year.