A well-known Quebec Muslim activist has pleaded not guilty to a minor assault charge for an incident at a Montreal CEGEP.
Adil Charkaoui's lawyer entered the plea on his behalf Friday in municipal court.
He is due back in court on June 10.
The case stems from an incident that occurred in February at the Collège de Maisonneuve, where Charkaoui has rented several classrooms for Arabic and Qu'ran studies as part of a school he runs.
According to the CEGEP's version of events, a security guard who was making his rounds of the school's gyms was "intimidated and shoved" by Charkaoui.
The CEGEP said the guard was watching a group of people play a game of soccer when the incident took place.
Charkaoui contested that version of events in an interview with CBC News earlier this week.
He said he was refereeing his son's soccer game at the school when the guard came over to see what was happening.
He said they asked the guard to move because they were afraid he could get hurt by accident, but the guard refused to move and, in fact, tried to provoke them.
Charkaoui said he never hurt the guard.