The Huffington Post is building a movement to start conversations between parents and children. We’d love for you to be part of it.
In April, HuffPost is launching Talk To Me, a new video series featuring influential parents interviewed by their children. You can join the movement by having your own conversation with your loved one, live on Facebook.
Facebook Live is a new product that lets you broadcast your life wherever and whenever you like. Here’s Vin Diesel going live with his kids:
And here's HuffPost Canada news managing editor Andree Lau interviewing her dad in our Toronto studios:
It’s fun and easy, and we promise you’ll be glad you captured a conversation with your loved one.
So just grab your smartphone and your parent or child (grandparents/grandkids and other important people are great too!) and follow the steps below.
(If you’d rather not broadcast your video live, no problem! You can record it like any other video and upload it to Facebook.)
Just use the hashtag #TalkToMe and tag your friends in the description. Remember to make the video public if you’d like to have it featured on HuffPost.
1) Prepare your questions
We’ve got some suggested questions for parents, and you can find more great ideas here.
- Tell me something you’ve never told me.
- What do you know now that you wish you knew when you were my age?
- Tell me the story of the happiest moment you’ve ever had.
- What is the hardest challenge you’ve faced in your life?
- What’s the biggest lesson you’d like to pass onto future generations?
- What are some of the little things you did for yourself or our family that made the biggest impact?
- If you could have one wish for me and my children, what would it be?
- If you had to choose one role model for me, who would it be and why?
2) Tell your friends what you’re doing
A great description posted to Facebook will capture your friends’ attention and help them understand what your broadcast is about.
One to try: “Here I am with [my parent], going for the HuffPost challenge on Facebook Live. #TalkToMe”
3) Go live with a strong connection
Check your phone to make sure that you have a strong signal for your mobile device before going live. Try to find a location where you’re on wifi or have at least a 4G connection.
You can also download the Speedtest app from the app store. Higher than 1 Mbps upload speed is good speed for broadcasting (the higher, the better).
4) Use the hashtag #TalkTo Me, and tag some friends
Once you’ve finished your interview, tell your family and friends to do the same. And remember to make the video public if you’d like it to be featured on HuffPost!
Questions? Email us at CanadaParents [at] huffingtonpost.com, or send us a message on Facebook. And feel free to let us know when you post a video so we can help promote it! We can’t wait to see what you come up with.