NEWS
04/26/2016 17:46 EDT | Updated 04/27/2017 01:12 EDT

Arrival of Dominguez signals Jays ready to move on from Colabello suspension

Toronto Blue Jays manager John Gibbons says the team is ready to move on from Chris Colabello's suspension for doping.

The Jays first baseman received an 80-game ban last week after testing positive for the performance-enhancing substance dehydrochlormethyltestosterone.

It capped a nightmare start to the season for Colabello, who rose from minor-league anonymity last season to claim a spot with the high-flying Blue Jays. He was batting just .069 prior to his suspension.

Gibbons says teammates still sympathize with Colabello, though the club signalled its willingness to move on by promoting infielder Matt Dominguez from triple-A Buffalo.

He was scheduled to make his Jays debut Tuesday against the visiting Chicago White Sox.

Gibbons says players "come and go" in baseball.

"They (the players) feel for him. I'm sure he's keeping in touch with those guys," Gibbons said. "I've texted him a couple times. But the thing about baseball is baseball keeps going, with or without you. One day somebody's gone, a manager gets fired, nobody (cares) the next day."

Dominguez was slated to play third base on Tuesday, but spent time playing first in Buffalo.

"It just keeps rolling," Gibbons said. "What it does is it means an opportunity for somebody else, you know? That's the way the game works."

The Canadian Press