NEWS
06/03/2016 14:54 EDT | Updated 06/04/2017 01:12 EDT

Safety issues, increased crime reasons to shut down tent city: B.C. government

VICTORIA — Deteriorating conditions and increased criminal activity at a tent city set up on the lawn of Victoria's courthouse have prompted the provincial government to ask the court once again to evict the campers.

The province has filed an injunction to dismantle the camp after collecting 69 affidavits outlining public safety issues, crime and dangerous conditions.

A fire safety report submitted last week said the campers aren't complying with fire-safety orders and there are life-threatening dangers at the site.

More than 100 people have been living in tents on the lawn of the courthouse since last November, sparking complaints from neighbours about violence, crime and drugs.

The B.C. Supreme Court denied a temporary injunction to shutdown the camp in April after a three-day hearing where many of the campers testified.

Chief Justice Christopher Hinkson says he will hear the new injunction application on June 27 and 28.