NEWS
06/09/2016 07:37 EDT | Updated 06/10/2017 01:12 EDT

Murder trial begins for man charged in Parti Quebecois election shooting

MONTREAL — The murder trial of the man accused in the deadly shooting the night the Parti Quebecois was elected in 2012 has begun with the Crown outlining its case.

Prosecutor Dennis Galiatsatos says he will prove beyond a reasonable doubt that Richard Henry Bain shot and killed lighting technician Denis Blanchette outside a Montreal nightclub as the PQ was celebrating its victory.

The 65-year-old Bain also faces three charges of attempted murder and two fire-related counts.

Galiatsatos says he plans to call up to 50 witnesses including Montreal and provincial police, employees of the Metropolis nightclub and David Courage, a stagehand Bain is accused of attempting to kill that night.

Superior Court Justice Guy Cournoyer took roughly one hour to read instructions to the 14-member jury of eight women and six men.

Although all 14 will hear the evidence, only 12 will be selected to decide Bain's fate.

The trial had been pushed back numerous time, most recently in May because Bain had to undergo surgery.

Bain sat in the witness box on Thursday wearing a cream-coloured neck brace.

The trial is expected to last between six and eight weeks.

Cournoyer is no stranger to high-profile cases. He was the judge at the first-degree murder trial of Luka Rocco Magnotta, who was found guilty by a jury in 2014 in the killing and dismemberment of Chinese student Jun Lin.