This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada, which closed in 2021.

Justin Trudeau Approved 860 Infrastructure Projects. Only 1 Has Broken Ground.

Stimulating an economy takes more than just allocating money.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau has been hard at work since his government took office over a year ago.

But how much he's accomplishing has been a matter of some debate in recent months.

The latest questions surround the infrastructure projects that were approved after the first budget implementation act was passed on June 13, according to Bloomberg News.

Since then, 860 projects have been approved across Canada. But only one, a disaster mitigation project in Whitecourt, Alta., has actually broken ground in that time frame.

The project seeks to "control erosion along the south bank of the Athabasca River" in Whitecourt, a town about 177 kilometres north of Edmonton. The federal government contributed $1,839,888 to realize it.

Information regarding the progress of projects comes from a dataset provided by Infrastructure Canada.

And indeed, it shows that the Whitecourt project is the only one that's even started construction, after breaking ground on July 13.

Bloomberg said the dataset likely underestimates how much progress has actually been made on these projects.

An Infrastructure Canada spokesperson said numerous projects have started their work and that 65 per cent of the ones announced as part of the funding's first phase are in progress.

But the lack of advancement on them shows that it's tougher to stimulate the economy through infrastructure spending than many likely anticipated.

TD noted this in September, when it issued a report showing that stimulus spending won't add as much to Canada's economy as the federal government said it would.

The Liberals said their spending would add 0.5 per cent to Canada's GDP this year and one per cent from 2017 to 2018.

TD, however, said it was more likely to add 0.3 per cent and 0.2 per cent to the economy in each of the next two years, for a total of 0.5 per cent.

The revelations come amid questions about how much Trudeau's Liberals are actually pulling off, despite the hopeful campaign that put them in government.

Two months ago, it emerged that the Trudeau government's first nine months in office were the least productive of any in over two decades.

Also on HuffPost

Justin Trudeau: The Global Town Hall

Suggest a correction
This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada. Certain site features have been disabled. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact support@huffpost.com.