NEWS
11/07/2016 18:48 EST | Updated 11/08/2017 00:12 EST

ASIRT launches second probe in officer-involved shooting over use of force

CALGARY — The Alberta Serious Incident Response Team has launched a second investigation related to an officer-involved shooting in a back alley last week.

A police officer sustained minor injuries when he was dragged by a suspected stolen vehicle on Thursday.

A second officer shot the 20-year-old driver, who was taken to hospital with serious injuries.

While ASIRT investigations are standard protocol in officer-involved shootings, the agency said Monday it has launched a second probe into allegations of use of force on the driver after he was removed from the vehicle and taken into custody.

The agency said in a news release the officer who fired his gun is not part of the second investigation.

ASIRT said additional officers arrived on scene before the suspect was taken into custody.

At a news conference after the incident, Chief Constable Roger Chaffin said it was another example of how officers are put in harm's way doing their jobs on a nightly basis.

(CHQR)