If you're wondering whether you really have to give your kid's teacher or daycare provider a gift during the holidays, here's a handy tip: yes.
This is the person who keeps your child alive/entertained/educated/wrangled all day, freeing you to work/sleep/clean/keep your younger babies alive while knowing that your child is in a safe, warm, and nurturing environment. Not only do teachers and daycare providers deserve gifts, but they deserve good ones.
That's where we come in. We scoured our favourite gift guides and online shops, dug deep into forums, polled Facebook, and asked some actual teachers IRL what makes a great Christmas gift.
First of all, here's what they don't want: mugs, lotions and bathing paraphernalia, baubles and knick knacks. Here's what they do want: gift cards, school supplies, gift cards, booze, gift cards, caffeine, personal gifts such as hand-written cards and ornaments, and did we mention gift cards?
With that in mind, here's a list to help you get a gift that one of the most important people in your child's life will actually like.
1. Chapters gift card
Costs: $25, $75, $100
2. Holiday tea wreath
Available at:Davids Tea
3. Custom ProStamps
Costs: $27.45 and up
4. After school snack stemless wine glass
5. Starbucks gift card
Costs: $15, $25, $50, $100
Available at:Starbucks (in store or online)
6. Geo Stripe Reading Socks
7. Stonewall Kitchen cheese pairing set
8. Thank you teacher mug
(Yes, we know. No mugs. But this one is so cute we had to make an exception).
9. UNICEF Canada schools essential bundle (35 sets)
10. Ikea gift card
Costs: $25, $50, $75, $100, $200
More gift ideas from HuffPost Canada:
11. Teacher's Highland Cream scotch whiskey
12. Head over feet pedicure gift basket
13. Heart of a Teacher: A Collection of Quotes and Inspirational Stories
14. S'mores teacher marshmallow Christmas ornament
15. Michaels gift card
Costs: $10, $25, $50, $100, $200
16. Mr. Sketch scented colour markers
17. Prang soy crayons class pack
18. Second Cup mini hot chocolate collection
Costs: $4.25 per bag
Available at:Second Cup
19. Well.ca holiday treat box
20. LCBO (or any liquor store) gift card
Costs: any denomination over $25
21. Reason you drink wine label
Costs: $6+ (plus a bottle of wine)
22. Chocolate survival kit
Available at:Purdys Chocolatier
23. Personalized notebook
Costs: Starting at $9.74 (plus shipping)
24. Wine Time knit mittens
25. Amazon gift card
Costs: Any amount
Also on HuffPost: