This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada, which closed in 2021.

Will Grigg nets 2 as Wigan dumps West Ham out of FA Cup

LONDON — Will Grigg scored twice including a second-half penalty as third-tier Wigan dumped English Premier League side West Ham out of the FA Cup by 2-0 on Saturday.

West Ham defender Arthur Masuaku was sent off four minutes into the second half of the fourth-round match for spitting at Nick Powell and faces a lengthy ban.

Watford was the only other top-tier club to go out of the competition as it lost at fellow Premier League side Southampton 1-0.

There was another all-Premier League encounter later, with Liverpool hosting West Bromwich Albion.

Tottenham also played later, at fourth-tier Newport.

The Premier League teams to advance were Brighton, which won at Middlesbrough 1-0, and Leicester.

The Premier League's bottom side, Swansea, faces a replay after drawing at Notts County 1-1.

Huddersfield also drew against Birmingham 1-1.

Coventry continued its fantastic cup run with a 1-0 victory at MK Dons, while Hull beat Nottingham Forest 2-1.

Sheffield United beat Preston North End 1-0, and Millwall netted a last-minute equalizer to draw 2-2 against Rochdale.



West Ham didn't have a single shot on target on a miserable day for David Moyes' side.

Wigan got off to a great start as Grigg headed in Nathan Byrne's cross with less than seven minutes on the clock.

Cheyenne Dunkley also had a goal ruled out for Wigan shortly afterward and any hope West Ham had of getting into the match diminished when Masuaku was dismissed for reacting angrily to a crunching tackle from Powell.

Grigg doubled his tally in the 69th with a penalty straight down the middle after Reece Burke was somewhat harshly adjudged to have handled the ball.

It was Grigg's sixth goal in five FA Cup matches this season.



Kelechi Iheanacho grabbed a first-half double as Leicester beat third-tier Peterborough 5-1.

Despite driving rain, the Foxes were a goal ahead with just nine minutes gone after Peterborough gave the ball away following a sloppy throw-in.

Iheanacho slid the ball through to Fousseni Diabate, and the forward, who arrived at Leicester from Ligue 2 club Gazelec Ajaccio this month, drove into the box before prodding home with his left foot.

It was to get even worse for the hosts just three minutes later after Chris Forrester gifted the ball to Iheanacho deep inside the home side's half. The former Manchester City forward had options to his left, but he chose to go alone, curling his left-footed strike into the bottom corner.

Leicester put the game firmly out of reach shortly before the half-hour mark when Iheanacho netted his second of an impressive afternoon, volleying home from six yards out.

Peterborough rallied in the second half and Andrew Hughes scored from a corner. It was the first goal Leicester has conceded this year.

Diabate completed a fine debut when he added a fourth after 87 minutes, and substitute Wilfred Ndidi fired home with the final kick of the match.

Suggest a correction
This article exists as part of the online archive for HuffPost Canada. Certain site features have been disabled. If you have questions or concerns, please check our FAQ or contact