LIVING
08/01/2018 12:11 EDT | Updated 08/03/2018 22:50 EDT

McDonald's Serves Pregnant Alberta Mom Cleaning Solution Instead Of Latte

Fast food chain apologizes for toxic mistake.

A pregnant Alberta mother says she was served a cleaning agent from a McDonald's restaurant instead of the latte she ordered.

Sarah Douglas says she was taking her son to a baseball tournament Sunday morning in Lethbridge when they stopped at the drive-through for the coffee.

When the mother, who is expecting her third child, took a sip she knew something was wrong and pulled over to spit out the beverage.

Douglas says when she returned to the restaurant to complain, a staff member told her that two cleaning lines were hooked up to the latte machine.

Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made.Franchisee Dan Brown

She contacted Alberta Health Services' Health Link and was transferred to poison control.

A spokeswoman for McDonald's issued an apology on behalf of Dan Brown, the restaurant franchisee.

Douglas says she wanted to share her experience to ensure that this never happens again.

"As a mother, I want to make sure I have voice and that I'm being heard in terms of the safety of consumers, and how (alleged) negligence can affect people in such a drastic way," she said.

Alberta Health Services says public health officers are investigating.

Bloomberg via Getty Images
Hazelnut carmel latte at a McDonald's MCCafe. Smell before you sip!

McDonald's says a health inspector has visited the restaurant and is not investigating further.

"What happened is that the machine was being cleaned — as it is every morning. Unfortunately, the milk supply line was connected to the cleaning solution while this guest's drink was made," Brown said in a statement.

"We have taken immediate action to review the proper cleaning procedures with the team and have put additional signage up as an added reminder." (Lethbridge News Now)

Also on HuffPost: