BRITISH COLUMBIA
10/05/2018 18:59 EDT | Updated 10/05/2018 19:57 EDT

B.C. Child Hospitalized After Eating Marijuana Gummy Bears: Police

She's expected to make a full recovery.

COURTENAY, B.C. — RCMP in British Columbia say a young child has been hospitalized after eating marijuana-infused gummy bear candies she found while in the back seat of a vehicle.

Police say the girl's parents took her to hospital when she showed signs of medical distress and she was airlifted to another hospital for further medical treatment.

Const. Monika Terragni of the Comox Valley detachment says the girl's condition brings to light the dangers of edibles made with cannabis, especially those that resemble candy.

Terragni says such products should be treated with the same care and control as prescription drugs.

Police say it's not known how many gummies the girl ate before she became ill but she is expected to make a full recovery.

Last year, police in Victoria urged parents to check Halloween candy after a family reported their child was given a package of marijuana gummies while trick or treating.

Also on HuffPost: