Since I moved into my new high-rise building in downtown Surrey, I have made a lot of nice, friendly straight male friends.
This is a new experience for me, as for many years I largely surrounded myself with gay men. Not that I am complaining, of course, but I am so amazed with how open minded and non-judgmental many straight men have become, in terms of having gay friends to hang out and chill with.
Maybe straight men have become so used to having gay men flirt and flatter them that they have become comfortable with same-sex admiration and friendship.
I feel it would be great to build upon this level of male bonding and build bridges between gay and straight men. Straight men will have more freedom to express themselves in every which way possible including emotionally and intellectually, while gay men will have more friends and supporters in society.
Below is my top 10 list of why every straight man needs a gay best friend:
1. Your gay best friend (GBF) can introduce you to tons of nice single ladies.
2. Your gay best friend may become your wife's friend too.
3. Your gay best friend can be a great listener and social support as many gay people lived through bullying in their youth and became sensitive, caring, and loving people as adults. Yes, you can cry and open up with your new gay best friend.
4. Your gay best friend can help you outfit your wardrobe and you'll be out of the store on time and on budget.
5. Your gay best friend can make a great gym and fitness buddy.
6. Your gay best friend will be there for you if you ever need a hug. Hugging is the universal gay greeting.
7. Your gay best friend would probably be a good ego boost to your self-esteem and self-confidence when you need emotional support. This can help you overcome any rejection you experience from the women in your life.
8. Your gay best friend would probably be a great person to talk to about sex, sexuality, and relationships.
9. You can crash at your gay best friend's place when the need arises.
10. Last and most importantly, your gay best friend will be a loyal, committed, and trusted friend because for many gay people, their friends are their family.
There you go! This is my top 10 list of why every straight man needs a gay best friend. So go out and embrace your gay brothers. There is a very limited supply of available gay men. Make the most of it and cherish your new gay best friend forever.
To support "Dosti - The Friendship Project," Alex Sangha's anti-bullying and racism speaking tour check out his fundraising campaign on Indiegogo.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: