12/29/2011 03:15 EST | Updated 12/29/2011 03:15 EST

All Is Well

So here I am, a couple of days past my dreaded appointment with my oncologist. The pre-jitters leading up to it have been replaced by a calm fatigue. I'm glad to report that I am well and cancer free.

I went to the hospital early on Monday morning, as I have to have the blood work done prior to seeing the doctor. I sat in the waiting room nervously confident as I waited for them to call my name. I had visualized this appointment, and my mind had gone over the details of the process and how well things would go. While I was sitting there waiting, I couldn't help but overhear the discussion going on at the reception desk. The nurse who was on duty for the blood work had not yet shown up for work. As the clock ticked away and more patients arrived, they were concerned that the doctors' schedules would be affected.

So the decision was made to send us downstairs where all the outpatient blood tests were done. As I was heading down there with a few of the patients, a knot of concern formed in my stomach. The visualization I had done prior to this was already derailing!

As my number was called, I headed over to the nurse who would draw my blood. Putting on a brave face, I quietly explained that she could only take blood from my left arm, as I was a cancer survivor who had lymph nodes removed on the right side. With a a nervous giggle, I warned her that she may have a hard time getting the needle in my chemo ravaged veins.

And what did she reply? She promptly told me that it must have been the reason why the previous few patients she had prior to me were all difficult cases. Then she proceeded to get that needle in on the first try!

Back in the waiting room on the oncology floor, I was much more relieved. And I realized that, regardless of the fact that my visualization didn't go precisely as I thought it would, my intention was that it would roll out in the best possible way. This is what counts, and I truly believed the appointment would be successful.

The rest of it rolled out without a glitch. My pivot nurse, Dail, came out to see me while I was waiting for my doctor. We went back to her office and had a nice chat. We discussed future events that I could participate in as a cancer survivor and I gave her my wig. Having a nurse that truly cares and has her heart in her profession makes a world of difference.

Later, as I sat with my doctor following my examination, he told me blood work was normal. "It's boring," he said. But in my world, boring is good. It's good in his world, too.

The women at the reception laughed and offered words of congratulation to me as I was scheduling my next appointment... in January of 2012! Their happiness for me was contagious, and put a wide grin on my face. You see, everything went as planned, and I was on a high.

And life goes on...