Money matters don't need to be unmanageable or headache inducing. Most of us are time starved in that we have demanding lives, careers and families that consume most of our energy or calories. There is little desire or hours in the day to spare worrying about our personal finances, and how to take the guesswork and worry out of it. But the reality is it is easier than we may think.
Most of us want to get more out of our life and money but may not know where to start. It can be daunting. Confidence comes from knowing where you are going in life, having good money habits and being in control of your destination. In order to focus on the bigger picture and what really matters to you, the best and easiest way is to get your personal finances on track to achieve a monthly routine. It's no different then having a daily and weekly routine for yourself.
Keep your life moving in the direction you want, supported by a good plan, will keep you focused on achieving your personal and financial goals! Live your best life today.
Here's how to change your life in 6 weeks by following The Money Do Checklist.
Tackle one Money Do Checklist item every week for the next 6 weeks. You will feel empowered and in control of your life. You will worry less and increase your financial security. It's that easy.
Focus on your weekly accomplishments and highlight what you have accomplished as oppose to what you still have left to do. Surely this could have been called an Accomplishment List instead...a Money Do Checklist will keep us focused and on track to betterment in just 6 weeks.
Take the challenge and make the Money Do Checklist work for you. Tick the box or scratch the item off your list. It's as easy as 1, 2, 3...
• Set 2-3 personal goals. Take stock of your life. Map out your future by defining a series of short term personal goals. Create an action plan for success that includes a timeline and mini steps to get you to where you want to go. Save money for goal related pursuits and you will reach your goals faster.
• Create a spending plan. You have heard it 1,001 times before. But, if you can't stand the money in/money out cycle then now is the time to take the guess work out of your money. Life adds up and if you want to reach your goals in time, you will want to rein in your spending.
• Reduce debt. Over spending is easy to do, but carrying larger amounts of debt and paying too much interest could be weighing you down. Pay down any non-mortgage debt you have to simplify the payables. A debt consolidation loan is one option to address high credit card debt. Reducing and eliminating debt will help you reach your goals sooner.
• Consolidate your accounts. Do you really need 3+ credit cards in your wallet? Keeping track of balances and transactions may be too much for you. Consolidating your accounts will make it easier to keep track of where your money goes.
• Put your saving strategy & bill payments on auto pilot. We all know it, but saving money each month is saving for the future. Just know, savings are what you pay yourself, and if you want to secure your golden years and worry less, then pay yourself first. Set up automatic bill payments. You will never miss a bill and worry less about being late with payments. Set it and forget it.
• Review and update your policies. Make time to read and review your coverage on all policies (home, life, auto) so there are no surprises. Disability benefits have changed- do you know your coverage? Comparison shopping can be done each year, even if you are happy with your insurer. Do you have a will? Have your family circumstances changed?
You can't boil the ocean, but what you can do is to focus on some very tangible and easy to implement strategies on the Money Do Checklist that will enhance your financial security. You will worry less and find the time to focus on what really matters - living your best life today. This is simply good living.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: