profile image

Henry Chang

Partner at Blaney McMurtry LLP. Expert in cross-border legal issues. Practices law in the State of California and the Province of Ontario.

Henry J. Chang
Partner, Blaney McMurtry Barristers & Solicitors

Mr. Chang is a partner with Blaney McMurtry LLP, a full service Toronto-based law firm established in 1954. He is a member of the firm’s Immigration Law group and co-chair of its International Trade and Business group.

Mr. Chang obtained his Juris Doctor from Osgoode Hall Law School in 1990. He is a member of the State Bar of California and the Law Society of Upper Canada (Ontario).
A recognized authority in the field of United States and Canadian business immigration law, Mr. Chang lectures extensively in both the United States and Canada. His articles have been published in numerous nationally- and internationally-recognized publications. Mr. Chang also mentors other lawyers in the practice of business immigration law in the United States and Canada.

Mr. Chang is a former Executive Member of Canadian Bar Association’s National Immigration Law Section (2010-2014) and National International Law Section (2012-2014). He was also Chapter Chair for the Canadian Chapter of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (“AILA”) and a member of AILA's Board of Governors from 1996-1998, 1999-2002, 2004-2006, and 2008-2009. Mr. Chang chaired AILA’s Technology Committee and served on AILA National's Governance Committee in 1998. He served on AILA's Northern Border Task Force in 1999, AILA's EB-5 Immigrant Investor Committee from 2005-2007, and AILA's Admissions & Border Enforcement Committee from 2007-2008. Mr. Chang current serves on AILA’s National Department of State Liaison Committee.

Mr. Chang is consistently ranked as one of Canada’s top business immigration lawyers by The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, Who’s Who Legal, and Best Lawyers. He also holds an AV (Preeminent) Rating with Martindale-Hubbell.
What To Know If You Are Barred From The United miflippo via Getty Images

What To Know If You Are Barred From The United States

When I previously discussed why Canadians may be barred from the United States if they admit to smoking marijuana, I did not discuss what options might be available if a Canadian is actually barred by United States Customs and Border Protection ("USCBP") based on criminal grounds. I will now address this issue.
01/03/2017 04:28 EST
How To Wait Out Donald Trump's Presidential Term In scarletsails via Getty Images

How To Wait Out Donald Trump's Presidential Term In Canada

It is widely believed that Donald Trump will not win a second term as president. In fact, some outspoken Americans have opined that he will not even finish his initial four-year term. If we assume that Donald Trump would not serve a second term, permanent resident status in Canada is clearly not required. There are several options available that would permit a U.S. citizen to temporarily reside in Canada for the next four years.
11/14/2016 11:20 EST
Why Americans With DUIs Can't Enter GeoStock via Getty Images

Why Americans With DUIs Can't Enter Canada

Canadians may be surprised to learn that United States citizens who have been convicted of (or who have committed) a single instance of Driving under the Influence ("DUI") will actually be barred from Canada. Some U.S. citizens may believe that this is unfair also, especially since Canadians who have DUI convictions are generally not barred from the United States.
10/05/2016 12:06 EDT