2014 may have been the year of the nipple (#FreeTheNipple), but 2015 is definitely the year of the bush (#PubeGame). Pubic hair is so popular right now, it's vogue. From mild to moderate tuffs, harbouring tiny strands of love in between your legs has been all the rage so far this year and it has no intention of slowing down.
A recent Girls episode made this comeback obvious when Hannah comments on her GBF Elijah's new found pubic appreciation at her cozy temporary home in Iowa.
"Your body looks amazing! I haven't seen your pubic hair in a long time" -Hannah
"I just grew it back!" -Elijah
Growing it back is how to get noticed in 2015.
Last week on Instagram, Sticks and Stones magazine had its account suspended because of the display of a little side-bush through a model's bikini that was actually barely there and barely visible.
Although the account has since been restored, it leaves many of us wondering how things will change this year, especially in the female representation of post-puberty pube-licity. When Justin Bieber is photoshopped to have more hair in the down there, whenAmerican Apparel kicks off our fascination last year with merkins on their mannequins and the goddess herself, Cameron Diaz invites you to praise your pubes in her most recent book, you know there is a trend growing here...literally.
From hipster muffs to Chanel puffs, a landing strip, a Brazilian buff or venturing into the exotic with a dye job bush, prepare your vulvas and dust off your dicks...it's the age of pubis, so it's about time we embraced it.
But what's the point? Why do we have pubes anyways? Isn't it irrelevant now that daily hygienic practices have reached an all-time level of sophistication?
Well, yes and no. Sure, we really don't really, actually need the pubic hair -- which is why the Brazilian has become so trendy, (that, and crotch shots in pornography are easier to view when there isn't hair in the way) but going more au naturel has become more of a political statement and an increasingly relevant fashion one as well. We've become obsessed with the idea of always making ourselves "better", "cleaner", "increasingly fit for public consumption" (i.e. Instagram & selfies) that in all the hustle of selling ourselves for whatever level of gratification you are trying to achieve, we've lost touch with the purpose of our bodies -- which is to keep us alive. That's it.
So, whether you're going for the baby-bald, barely-there or tight-and-trim look, here are the top 3 reasons why we have pubic hair in the first place and the argument for keeping your #pubegame rockin' in 2015:
1. Reduces friction
Everyone knows that the most uncomfortable thing about pubic hair is growing it out. So, why not cut that part out all together? Keep your business trimmed and know that pubic hair is thought to aid in preventing skin abrasion and injury, especially during sex when the friction is at its highest. Another consideration is that it acts as a barrier between your delicate skin and your clothing. Providing a protective layer is a job well done when it comes to defending your love nest from unnecessary chaffing or hot weather sticking.
2. Keeps out bacteria
Pubic hair is a champion for trapping dirt and other unwanted particles from falling in and around the openings of your genitalia. When we shave, the occasional tiny cuts or open pores make us more susceptible to a bacterial infiltration. Think of your muff as the eye brows to the vulva, the beard of your penis. It's all relative, but pubic hair is here to stay for some time, so you might as well learn and appreciate how it contributes to your life.
3. Traps Pheromones
It is theorized that the ripeness that is captured in our pubic hair is our literal mating call. The pheromones that get trapped within unconsciously invite and excite potential mates. The apocrine sweat glands which are concentrated in our genitals and armpits become stimulated during high emotional duress, such as sexual stimulation or anxiety and that's where the pheromones come from. That and, those glands are an essential part of the thermoregulation of our bodies. That all sounds nice, but does your scent actually attract other lovers? Subtle stimulation of the libido via our pheromones is proven to excite potential lovers, and some of you need the help with your love game, so why stunt your potential with unnecessary grooming?
I'm not saying sans-pubic isn't the way to go, but it is about priorities. Do you feel more confident when you've kept your #pubegame tight? Does it make you feel sexier when you are well groomed walking out the door? Are you more apt to enjoy the experience of having some hunk go to town & down on you while you starfish on a Friday night?
Then keep doing you, keep rocking your confidence and just know that our bodies have reasons for the way they function and a little sexual education doesn't hurt every once in a while.
MORE ON HUFFPOST:
- Not the story of why I decided to grow out my armpits again...
- There are no razors in Eden -- obviously.
- My pit hairs are up here.
- Birds flock to my bush, NBD.
- Power to the pubic hairs!
- Now that I have your attention...
- I don't like to get them wet...
- Look into my crystal ball, not my bush.
- What, is there something on my brows?JOHN MACDOUGALL via Getty Images
- I see you like my new 'do.
- Hair is best kept unkempt.
- Are the knee socks a bit much?
- Frida's an artist? I just idolize her facial hair.ASSOCIATED PRESS
- 'Big bushes in front, small bushes in back...'
- I always leave some pit hair to the imagination...
- I feel good, thanks for asking!
- Sorry, what is this "Nair" you speak of?
- Hair where? Hair everywhere.
- Yup, you came from here.
- Tan lines? Good. Bush? Better.
- Brows are beautiful, folks.ASSOCIATED PRESS
- I call it my 5 o'clock shadow...
- [Octopus language]
- I'll do the dapper thing, but the brows stay.ASSOCIATED PRESS
- Naked and nude are two different things, no?
- Mickalene: 1. Gustave: 0
- Mind the sails!
- Some day American Apparel will steal this look.American Apparel will steal this look." />
- I saw a lot of other nude models rocking the socks and bush thing so...
- You know how birds liked the bush? Yeah, hummingbirds too.
- I thought we were doing this BFF shoot naked?
- Thank you for the flowers but I asked for deodorant.