I have a confession to make: I haven't always loved what I do for a living. Over the years I've had jobs I didn't enjoy. In fact, I've had jobs I freaking hated!
Similarly, I've also worked with people who are clearly not happy with their vocation. Combining these experiences, I've devised these five telltale signs that it's time to dust off your resume and look for a new gig.
1. You're on the Sunday-Night-Friday-Morning Rollercoaster: You know the drill. Friday mornings are awesome, Sunday nights suck. You're living for the weekend, you can't wait for 5 p.m. and you count the days to your next vacation. I get it. I used to be there. But it's no way to live. Do what you love and the weekly work roller coaster will grind to a halt.
2. You've Reached a Glass Ceiling: You spoke with your manager at your last annual review and the writing's on the wall -- there's nowhere for you to move to and a promotion is out of the question. If you've been told there is no room for growth, believe it. And find a venture where you can learn and move forward.
3. Your Mood Changes When You Walk Into the Office: As soon as you walk through the front door of the office, your heart sinks and you instantly feel irritated. You snap at your colleagues. You just want to slump behind your desk all day until it's time to leave at 5 p.m. For the love of all things holy, stop wishing your life away and do something you enjoy.
4. It's Negatively Impacting Your Personal Life: Even when you're not in the office, you're grumpy. When you talk to your spouse you're abrupt. You don't enjoy your friends' company like you used to. The colour has drained from your life because you know the clock is ticking and you'll soon be in the office again. It doesn't have to be this way -- do yourself a favour and find another job.
5. You're a Square Peg: When I worked in PR, I didn't fit in. In so many ways and for so many glaringly obvious reasons, I was the odd one out. Square peg, round hole. What I learned is that, sure, you can mould yourself to try and fit. You can dilute your personality until it's bland and beige. But ultimately if you don't fit the organization's culture, it's time to move on.
So... are you looking forward to Monday?
If not, you know what to do.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: