Before there was ever a Carrie Bradshaw or Cookie Lyon, one of our first TV style crushes was Denise Huxtable from "The Cosby Show" and "A Different World." The head-strong yet lovable Ms. Huxtable taught us the power of accessorizing, layering, statement pieces and so much more.
However, it was the actress who played her, Lisa Bonet, whose boho-chic off-screen style that has been the source of even more sartorial inspiration.
Bonet's floor-sweeping hippie dresses, head-turning hats, lovely locs and penchant for fringe have made her a badass since the '80s, not to mention the effortless way she ignores fashion's ever-changing trends to remain her true and most authentic self.
And the apple doesn't fall far from the tree. Just last month actress Zoe Kravitz, Bonet's daughter with musician Lenny Kravitz, was named InStyle's Breakthrough Style Star during the first annual InStyle Awards. Kravitz has adopted her mother's I-couldn't-care-less-about-what-I'm-wearing-but-I-still-slay skills.
In celebration of Bonet's 48th birthday on Nov. 16, we're taking a look back at her one-of-a-kind style. Which look is your favorite? Tell us in the comments section below.
- 1987Ron Galella via Getty Images
- 1988Ron Galella via Getty Images
- 1989Getty Vinnie Zuffante
- 1990Ron Galella via Getty Images
- 1996Ron Galella via Getty Images
- 2000S. Granitz via Getty Images
- 2003Gregg DeGuire via Getty Images
- 2003Mark Sullivan via Getty Images
- 2011Jason LaVeris via Getty Images
- 2012Jason LaVeris via Getty Images
- 2012David Livingston via Getty Images
- 2014Steve Granitz via Getty Images
- 2014Pascal Le Segretain via Getty Images
- 2015David Livingston via Getty Images
- 2015Rabbani and Solimene Photography via Getty Images
- 2015Jon Kopaloff via Getty Images
- 2015Axelle/Bauer-Griffin via Getty Images
Also on HuffPost: