Summer has nearly descended upon the Northern Hemisphere, bringing visions of barbecues, pool parties and long walks on the beach. For those in the United States, this often means one thing: vacation. Whether you're flying from one city to another in the confines of coach, or breaking out the analog map for a cross-country road trip, your sights are set on travel.
But which cities will you visit? Some of us want great food, some need nightlife, others just want a short stroll to a body of water. Then, there are the vacationers who want to see some good art -- especially street art. What better time of the year to plan a bucket list of street art attractions than the summer, when the sun is out, the weather is warm and the saturated gleam of spray paint and wheat pastes is more appealing than ever?
So, if you're still dropping hypothetical pins onto an ideal summer Google map, here are some cities we'd suggest -- purely based on their ephemeral street art aesthetic. From Philly to Baltimore, Atlanta to Portland, these are the urban centers you should visit and ogle some open air art while you're there.
1. Miami, FL Neighborhood: Wynwood
SUBSCRIBE AND FOLLOW
2. Philadelphia, PA Neighborhood: Fishtown
3. Seattle, WA Neighborhood: Rainier Avenue South and Pioneer Square
4. San Francisco, CA Neighborhood: The Mission
5. St. Louis, MO Neighborhood: The Grove and Cherokee Street
6. Cleveland, OH Neighborhood: Collinwood
7. Detroit, MI Neighborhood: McDougall-Hunt
8. Atlanta, GA Neighborhood: Old Fourth Ward and Krog Street Tunnel
9. Washington, DC Neighborhood: Columbia Heights
10. Denver, CO Neighborhood: Lower Highlands
11. Boston, MA Neighborhood: Somerville and Cambridge (outside Boston)
12. Chicago, IL Neighborhood: West Loop
13. Pittsburgh, PA Neighborhood: Braddock & North Braddock and Lawrenceville
14. Honolulu, HI Neighborhood: Kaka'ako
15. Los Angeles, CA Neighborhood: EVERYWHERE
16. Austin, TX Neighborhood: Baylor Street
17. Indianapolis, IN Neighborhood: Broad Ripple Village and Massachusetts Avenue
18. Portland, OR Neighborhood: Humboldt
19. New York, NY Neighborhood: EVERYWHERE