Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders said three people were arrested and charged with firearm-related offences following the incident, which sent four to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
He said police had recovered two guns related to the shooting and were still looking for a third firearm as the investigation continued.
“Our hope is to get everybody that was involved in this incident to bring them before the judicial system, so we are not near where we want to be right now,” he told reporters on Tuesday.
“We are looking for a firearm that we know was definitely shot at that location.”
The incident happened at 3:45 p.m. ET at Nathan Phillips Square, where over a million people had been waiting for hours to greet the new NBA champions at the end of a victory parade.
The team and a several dignitaries, including Prime Minister Justin Trudeau and Ontario Premier Doug Ford, were on stage when the sound of gunfire sent dozens of panicked fans running for safety, grabbing friends and children as they fled. The ceremony wrapped up a short time later.
On Tuesday, Toronto Mayor John Tory thanked first responders for their swift actions following the shooting.
We saw the best of our city and then there was a scary moment where police acted immediately to deal with.Toronto Mayor John Tory
“We saw millions of people come out to celebrate our team and the championship,” he said. “We saw the best of our city and then there was a scary moment where police acted immediately to deal with.”
Saunders said police are looking for a suspect described as a male with a heavy build, around five-foot-nine, short brown hair and wearing a white shirt. He also urged witnesses or anyone else with information on the shooting to come forward.
“You can’t have two million people in that same space and say nobody saw anything,” he said.