NEWS
02/11/2020 10:48 EST | Updated 02/11/2020 11:29 EST

2nd Plane Carrying Wuhan Evacuees Arrives At Canadian Forces Base

The 185 travellers will spend two weeks in quarantine at CFB Trenton.

OTTAWA — A second Canadian plane carrying evacuees from the quarantined region of Hubei, China, has landed at Canadian Forces Base Trenton in southern Ontario.

Foreign Affairs Minister Francois-Philippe Champagne said in a release Tuesday that the plane landed with 130 Canadians and 58 accompanying family members.

Officials say all the passengers aboard the plane were screened and have exhibited no symptoms of the novel coronavirus.

They’ll be placed under quarantine at CFB Trenton with the 213 Canadians and family members who arrived from Wuhan last week.

The flight crew has been examined and Canada’s chief public health officer, Dr. Theresa Tam, decided all 25 of them can be safely released from quarantine because they did not spend time in the centre of the outbreak and they followed appropriate infection prevention and control protocols.

This latest flight was the last one planned to carry Canadians out the part of China where the new virus was first detected.

“The government is pleased to have welcomed home more than 400 Canadians and their family members who had been in the quarantined region of Hubei province,” Champagne said in the release.

“We will continue to work closely with our international partners, including China, to combat [the new coronavirus’s] spread.”

The government continues to encourage any Canadians in China whose presence is non-essential to consider leaving the country while commercial flights are available.

Myriam Larouche, one of the 213 Canadians flown in Friday from the Chinese epicentre of the novel coronavirus outbreak, says life under quarantine at the base feels like summer camp.

Lars Hagberg/THE CANADIAN PRESS
Passengers are seen getting off a plane in Trenton, Ont., after travelling from Wuhan, China, on Tuesday. The travellers will now remain under quarantine at CFB Trenton to prevent the spread of the novel coronavirus.

Meanwhile, renowned Canadian epidemiologist Bruce Aylward made his way to China this week to lead a team of World Health Organization (WHO) experts to study the outbreak of the novel coronavirus.

Aylward and his team will be looking to the origin of the virus and the severity of the disease.

The WHO convened outside experts Tuesday to fast-track promising tests, drugs and vaccines to help slow the outbreak of a new virus that emerged in China and spread to two dozen other countries.

The new coronavirus was only identified late last year in Wuhan and there are no licensed drugs or vaccines. Diagnostic tests have been developed by several laboratories, but there are no rapid tests available. More than 300 scientists were expected to dial in remotely to the two-day meeting in Geneva that began Tuesday.

The virus has killed 1,016 people among 42,638 confirmed cases in mainland China, and infected more than 43,000 people globally.

With files from The Associated Press

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on Feb. 11, 2020.