NEWS
03/23/2020 09:21 EDT | Updated 03/23/2020 09:24 EDT

Yukon’s 1st COVID-19 Cases Are Travellers Who Recently Visited U.S.

The territory is banning gatherings of 10 or more to stop the spread.

Getty Images
A digital rendering of the novel coronavirus is seen here. The virus has finally hit Canada's North with cases reported this past weekend. 

Yukon’s chief medical health officer says the territory has its first two cases of COVID-19.

Dr. Brendan Hanley says a couple from Whitehorse who attended a conference in the U.S. were tested upon their return.

He says they had both been self-isolating since they got home, and in doing so, protected their fellow Yukoners from catching the virus.

Hanley says the cases do not change the risk of becoming ill with the virus in the territory.

He’s recommending everyone avoid non-essential travel into and out of Yukon. He had already planned on making the recommendation before the two cases were confirmed, the doctor says.

Hanley notes everyone who comes to the territory from outside Yukon is required to self-isolate for 14 days, even if they didn’t travel outside Canada.

The territory is also banning social gatherings of more than 10 people.

This report by The Canadian Press was first published on March 22, 2020.

Also on HuffPost: