What better way to ease into this fresh new year than to settle in with some fresh baked gluten-free ginger cookies? I am always thrilled when the holidays arrive, grateful for the quieting of the world, and then, after a minute or two (okay, maybe a couple of days) I am ready to get back out there and play.
And play I did! At long last, my cookbook edits are done (for now, at least) and with that out of the way, I can get back into the kitchen and create anew. I thought it might be nice to offer you a sweet and simple recipe, best enjoyed with a steaming hot cup of tea and perhaps eaten alone -- in total and complete silence. Imagine that kind of luxury?
As you may know by now, I don't consider myself a baker. Baking requires careful measuring and precision. I am more of a torrent in the kitchen. Happily so. Not once have I ever gotten out my knife and smoothed off the top of the cup to ensure I've measured just the right amount of flour. That's just not my thing.
The benefit to my ways, however, is that the abundance of baked goods I share with you are pretty forgiving -- kind of how we'd like our lives to be. You don't need to be an expert baker to make them work.
I used mainly fresh grated ginger to give this the real ginger kapow, but if you were going to use dried, just cut the amount of ginger you use in half.
And so as we ease into 2015, I invite you to do so with kindness, presence, gratitude, a deep breath, the best intentions and a vision for your life that enables you to find the happiness each and every day. Find that the goodness in the simple things. Smile often. Laugh a whole lot. Try new things.
And most of all...
Do all you can to be the most awesome version of yourself!
Crispy Gluten-Free Ginger Cookies
Recipe Type: Dessert
Author: Meghan Telpne
Prep time: 15 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Serves: 24 small cookies
A simple crispy ginger cookie recipe that is dairy-free with a hint of extra ginger power using fresh grated ginger and crystallized ginger.
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten-Free Flour (I used 1 cup brown rice and 3/4 cup Bob's Red Mill)
- 1/4 cup arrowroot starch
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- pinch of sea salt
- 1/2 cup organic ghee or coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar
- 1 egg or 1 serving chia paste
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 Tbsp fresh grated ginger root
- 1/3 cup chopped crystallized ginger
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, starch, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and sea salt.
In a separate bowl, cream together the oil and sugar, and then mix in the egg, maple syrup, fresh ginger and crystallized ginger.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry until thoroughly mixed (you may need to use your hands) and then set in the fridge for one hour.
Preheat oven to 340.
Using 2 Tbsp of dough, roll out your cookies in your hands and press flat on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
Repeat until all of the dough has been used up. You will need two cookie sheets or bake in two batches. If doing it in two batches, replace remaining batter in the fridge until you're ready to bake.
Bake for 15 minutes and then transfer to a cooling rack.
ALSO ON HUFFPOST:
- Dark Chocolate & Peanut Butter Midnight CakeGluten-Free With LB
- Rich Fudgy Flourless BrowniesLife Made Simple
- Peanut Butter Oatmeal Chocolate Chip CookiesAmbitious Kitchen
- Chocolate Cupcakes With Coffee IcingGluten-Free Goddess
- Dairy-Free Magic BarsFree Eats
- Chocolate Doughnuts With Butterscotch Glaze & Salted AlmondsFree Eats
- Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies With Creamy Chocolate FillingFree Eats
- Soft & Chewy Vegan Chocolate Chip CookiesMinimalist Baker
- Ultimate Vegan Chocolate ShakeMinimal Eats
- Dark Chocolate Cake With Caramel FrostingFree Eats
- Chocolate Almond Butter CupsFree Eats
- Banana Cake With Creamy Chocolate FrostingFree Eats
- Chocolate Chip Zucchini BrowniesGluten-Free Goddess
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip CookiesGluten-Free Goddess
- Decadent Chocolate Cake With Whipped Chocolate FrostingMel's Kitchen Cafe
- Compost CookiesA Girl Defloured
- Hazelnut Chocolate Chip SconesAll Day I Dream About Food
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Whoopie PiesAll Day I Dream About Food
- Peanut Butter Caramel Dark Chocolate ApplesKumquat Blog
- Chocolate Olive Oil Bundt CakeCooking On The Weekends
- 3-Ingredient Fudge BitesVeggie And The Beast Feast
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Avocado PuddingMinimalist Baker
- Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookie PancakesMinimalist Baker