If you have been reading my blog for a while now, you know that I have a love for long luscious lashes.
Spring is the perfect time to learn new tips and tricks on how to get the most out of your mascara.
Recently, I spoke with Kimberly Soane, Director of Artistry at Bobbi Brown Cosmetics. Kim was one of the Bobbi Brown PRO artists who worked backstage at several New York Fashion Week shows. She has done it for several years and has worked with all kinds of lashes.
Kim shared with me her hot tips on how you can get the most from your lashes.
How to choose the best mascara for your lashes?
Look at your lashes when you are not wearing any eye makeup and determine what they need more of:
- Or all of the above!
Then try a mascara that gives you the result you want. A great tip is to layer a lengthening mascara over a volume mascara and get the benefits of both.
Should you have different mascaras for different events (evening or day wear)?
It's best to find a mascara that you can reapply throughout the day to amp up your lashes from day to night.
What are the top tricks to keep your mascara on (not flaking) and keep the lashes full but separated?
A mascara will work best when applied in 3-5 coats max. If you over-layer too many times, the formula will just flake off and can also look clumpy.
Make sure to wipe the wand with a tissue every couple of weeks to make sure the fibers on the wands are clean so that the brush can do what's it's supposed to - it will help disperse the product more evenly throughout your lashes.
When you apply the mascara, zigzag the brush from the root to the tip of your lashes. This will ensure you are wiggling the lashes into the brush and working the mascara up the lash without gooping it on!
Other tips or helpful advice.
Curl your lashes before mascara- this is the best way to give yourself an eyelift and look more bright eyed. A good tip is to check and see if your lashes are defined and lifted enough. When you are done with your curling and mascara application, look straight ahead in the mirror and you should see the tips of your lashes sitting up against your eyelids or above your eyeliner line.
Here are some of the top tips from Sephora to keep your lashes full and looking lovely:
- Don't pump away on the wand. Doing this only dries out your mascara.
- When you do apply a second coat, try to wait until your first coat is fully dry. This will help avoid clumps. While you are waiting for it to dry apply your lipstick or some hand cream to get the most out of your time.
- When you apply mascara to your bottom lashes, only use the tip of your mascara wand. This will create a more defined look.
- Lash combs are a great way to keep your lashes separate and prevent them from clumping together.
- Try a coloured mascara! The colours can make your eyes "pop" and can make a fabulous statement with your outfit.
- An eyelash curler can curl your lashes before applying the mascara. This will help create a look that makes a difference can enhance the look of your lashes.
- If you would like just more length to your lashes then only apply a second coat to the tips of the lash. This will create a lengthy look.
I am going to use these helpful tips as I continue to expand by beauty ideas this spring! I love the idea of long lashes to bat at cute guys.
Your suggestions are always welcome, as I continue on my journey to live life to the fullest. Let's have the very best 2015!
Visit Sacha daily at SachaD.com
MORE ON HUFFPOST: