I used to run marathons and during my long training sessions my feet really took a beating. When I was training for a marathon, it was not unusual to have black toe nails, rough heels and not the most attractive feet.
Now, I spend more of my time cycling, swimming, hiking and other activities which are a bit easier on my feet. Recently, I noticed that my toes could use a makeover. When I was at the pool for my weekly swim, I noticed other women having such pretty toes, polish in every shade and colour.
In an attempt to have dazzling feet for the summer, I spoke with Jill Bryan, Regional Manager at absolute spa and she shared the top tips for a perfect (and easy) pedicure.
Top Tips For A Flawless Home Pedicure
• Yes always soak! Allow for a 5 minute soak at the start of the pedicure.
• Exfoliation is key, exfoliate the feet and allow plenty of time to spend on the rough spots.
• Hydration! Paraffin or masque will bring back the softness to the dryer spots on your feet.
• Allow enough dry time. For optimal results, be prepared to not cover your toe's for at least 3 hours
• Home Care! For callous prone feet or in the warmer summer months, a rich foot cream is an absolute must!
How To Choose The Best Spa For A Pedicure
• Make sure the esthetician uses disposable files and orange wood sticks and buffers (they will usually provide them for you to take home). This will prevent infections that could be caught using nail files from one person to the next.
• A clean and sanitary spa, will have water and disinfectant run through their foot bath and the basin's jets for at least 10 minutes in between clients. This will ensure that the foot bath is truly clean. Rinsing a tub and then spraying it down with disinfectant is not enough to ensure to that the tubs are hygienic.
• It should take at least 15-20 minutes in between clients, to conduct a full cleaning and ensure everything is 100% sanitary.
If you are looking for non toxic nail polishes
• The OPI brand of nail polish is free of toxic ingredients including: dibutyl phthalate (DBP), formaldehyde and tolene. These are known toxins and carcinogens which can be found in most lower grade nail lacquers.
Hot Toe Nail Colours For Spring
• The hottest colours for spring are, pastels, metallics and brights colours
Now, that I have started getting pedicures, I love it. It is a small nice treat for myself and I feel pretty when I go for my swims and no longer hiding my toes.
Stay tuned to my blog and share your comments below. Your tips and suggestions are always welcome, as I continue on my journey to find pretty, stylish and comfortable fashion.