Fall is the time of year when we are due for a wardrobe update. You may want to spend a little more on a couple of classic pieces but stretch your dollar when it comes to trendy items. How to dress for the in-between-season can leave us stumped. Here are five budget-friendly styling tips for transitioning your wardrobe from summer to fall.
1. Accessorize your summer clothes. First of all, store away any items that are obviously meant for summer, such as beach wear, but select favourite pieces that you can extend into the next season. Adding a scarf or tights to a summer dress is a great stylish and cost-efficient way to change up your wardrobe. Online retailers like Etsy.ca, for example, have an eclectic selection of accessories to choose from, many of which are handcrafted and one-of-a-kind.
2. Wear white after Labour Day. Go ahead. White is fashionable all year round these days. From pants, to vests to accessories, white adds a nice contract to the darker hues in your personal fall collection -- but perhaps stick with thicker fabrics like denim and avoid anything lightweight, such as eyelet or linen.
3. Join Facebook Buy & Sell Groups. Fall is an ideal time to de-clutter your closet. I'll let you in on a little secret: Facebook is an excellent and efficient source for de-cluttering your closet. Seek out local buy and sell Facebook groups to sell your old clothes but also score amazing, gently worn (and a lot of times never worn) designer items, for a fraction of the cost. Check out one of my personal favourites -- The Style Heiress Consignment Boutique for great finds.
3. Think "outfits". It's been a while since we had to dress for colder temperatures, so take stock of what you already have. Maybe you have a great blouse you've never worn because it doesn't match anything. Or a sweater you completely forgot about that still has the tags on. Lay these items out and plan your overall "look" and budget for new pieces that will complete the outfit. Retailers like BananaRepublic.ca and ClubMonaco.ca offer both trendy and classic pieces that complement any outfit.
4. Layering is still hot. One of the reasons I love this time of year is all the styling options we have -- t-shirts still work when layered under an oversized cardigan, a great multi-functional staple for every wardrobe. Take your summer dress into fall with a chunky sweater, a great pair of sneakers and a fedora to complete the look. Slowly add layers to your look, depending on the temperature. Check out the cozy sweaters Roots.ca is offering this season -- from shawls to ponchos -- you'll find layering pieces that will warm you up and look great for the season.
5. Shop online to maximum your savings. Many retailers offer additional savings on their online merchandise. Pair these savings with cash back offers from Ebates.ca and double up on the savings.
Sari Friedman is the Marketing Director of Ebates Canada and resident shopping expert. Ebates.ca is Canada's largest Cash Back shopping site. As a fashion enthusiast and new mom, Sari has an eye for finding and sharing amazing deals on the hottest trends and must-have styles.
Follow Ebates Canada on Twitter for the best Canadian deals, Cash Back offers and online shopping tips @EbatesCanada
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: