In the wonderful world of fashion, everyone — and everything — is connected. We’re taking a look at who and what made waves over the past seven days, and we're weaving a common thread between 'em all. From sneaker-clad ingénues to designer baby announcements, this is your one-stop style-story shop.
1. Taylor Swift. In a stroke of sneaker marketing genius, the teen country queen has designed a pair of limited-edition kicks for Keds. The red shoes are set to launch stateside Oct. 22, not-so-coincidentally the same day she releases her fourth album, Red.
Do you know who also gets a kick out Taylor Swift?
2. Tavi Gevinson. We found out this week that the über-talented blogger/author/singer, who (black-)lip-synched to Swift’s 'You Belong to Me' on YouTube will be in Toronto later this month to promote her new book Rookie Yearbook One.
Do you know which front-row favourite took inspiration from Gevinson’s writing?
3. Alexa Chung. This quirky British TV presenter and style-industry darling (hey, not everyone gets a Mulberry bag named after them) is set to publish her own book stuffed full of her fashion musings. Come next fall, you too can learn about the merits of Peter-Pan collars and palm-tree embellished slippers.
Do you know what other fashion fixture is getting into publishing?
4. Mulberry. In a celebration of all things British, this luxury brand has branched out into the online guidebook business — although they’re staying very close to home. Brilliant Britain sticks to what it knows best — curry chips, music festivals and Barbour jackets.
Do you know who else is batty for Barbour?
5. Bella Freud. Even though she’s the daughter of art legend Lucian Freud and great-granddaughter of Sigmund Freud, Bella Freud’s famous in her own right; her knitwear is coveted by the world’s coolest and most connected. She’s putting her skills to good use and creating a capsule collection for Barbour that she hopes will capture the imagination of her style-obsessed 12-year-old son.
Do you know who also has a son who’s sure to be one styling little guy?
6. Tom Ford. He and his partner of 25 years, former Vogue Hommes editor Richard Buckley, announced the birth of their son (believed to be via surrogate), Alexander John Buckley Ford. With parents like his and a name like that, this bouncing baby boy will be bounding up the runway in no time.