Burgundy, maroon, oxblood, wine or bordeaux: whatever you choose to call it (Bordeaux is the fanciest way, according to us), this dark shade has made a huge comeback this season.
You can now find everything from hair extensions to skinny jeans to nail polish in this sultry hue -- it's even splashed across the pages of fashion magazines, blogs and pretty much the entire internet.
But before you pull out ye olde burgundy velour dress, Nathalie Roberge, Montreal stylist and founder of danslacabine.com, shares some creative ways to include this colour into your closet in a 2012-friendly way.
1. Burgundy acts as a neutral this fall. Pair it with bright colours, black and white or other neutrals like earth tones to create interesting outfits.
2. Burgundy allows you to carry some of your pastel colours from the summer into the fall season. A mint green blouse with a burgundy skinny will go a long way.
3. To be in sync with the leather, leather and more leather fall trend, choose a high-waisted skirt, a studded leather jacket or a doctor-style purse in burgundy.
4. Remember your parent’s living room in the 90s? With that as inspiration, pair burgundy with its best friend once in a while: forest green. But leave the carved wood duck at home.
5. If you are not in love with burgundy, but still want to follow the trend, you can easily do so for cheap at major retailers like H&M. Keep your budget for classic pieces in colours that make you happy every year. There is nothing like effortless personal style.
6. Have you tried a peplum top or dress yet? It’s a classic look in black but you can double the trend with burgundy.