Are you forgetting something? In your excitement to dust off the BBQ and start grilling up summer classics like burgers, hot dogs and kebabs, it’s easy to overlook scrumptious seasonal sides. It would be a shame if you did, though, because the perfect summer meal just isn’t complete without them.
To help jog your memory and prepare your palette for mouth-watering summer eats, we’ve highlighted the best sides to complement your BBQ staples. After all, if you’re going to do something, do it right. These tasty dishes will be sure to impress everyone from the kids and the in-laws to friends and nosy neighbours.
STORY CONTINUES BELOW SLIDESHOW
- Premium kettle chips paired with hot dogs elevate the kid-friendly staple to something adults will love, too. Grocery store shelves are brimming with plenty of fantastic kettle chip options ranging from sea salted to more exotic varieties, like Kettle Brand’s Spicy Thai flavour. If you’re feeling ambitious, try celebrity chef Tyler Florence’s recipe for homemade kettle chips with Parmesan and herbs.
- Fruit salad is a great choice to serve alongside grilled chicken kebabs for a tasty, nutrient-packed summer meal. The great thing about fruit salad is it can be as simple as tossing some basics together, like melon, grapes and berries. Or, if you want to go for the wow factor, you could whip up chef Michael Smith’s impressive Twenty-Fruit Salad.
- The perfect pickle is a must if you’re indulging in a juicy burger. Nothing complements it quite like a juicy, crunchy pickle. Try them sliced on top of your patty, or serve them whole – try Bick’s® 50% Less Salt Garlic Whole Dill Pickles
- Corn on the cob coupled with BBQ ribs is a delicious, finger-licking combo. Don’t forget the wet naps! For perfectly grilled corn that looks as great as it tastes, be sure to follow Martha Stewart’s quick and easy recipe.
- Frites served with sizzling steak are an upscale steakhouse staple. That means guests will undoubtedly be impressed if they’re on the menu at your backyard cookout! Frites aren’t the easiest side to whip up, but their wow factor more than makes up for the extra effort. Check out the Food Network’s basic Pommes Frites recipe for guidance.
- Potato salad and BBQ chicken go together like peanut butter and jelly. The southern BBQ staples offer a truly satisfying meal when paired together, since potato salad is hearty enough to round out a lighter main like chicken. For a richer flavour, try roasting the potatoes instead of boiling them, as Canadian Living’s Roast Potato Salad recipe suggests.
- Grilled zucchini goes with anything, really, but it’s a particularly great accompaniment for glazed turkey drumsticks fired up on the grill. Plus, it doesn’t get much easier than slicing a zucchini in half and plopping it on the BBQ. To spice things up a bit, try this Food.com recipe that infuses dried dill and oregano into the mix.