Police say a little girl left inside a parked car during extreme heat in Edmonton has died in hospital.
The three-year-old child was found near death Tuesday evening outside a townhouse complex.
It's not known who rescued her or how long she had been in the vehicle.
Paramedics performed CPR and provided hydration before the youngster was taken by ambulance to the Stollery Children's Hospital.
Police say it's still early in the investigation and they're not releasing any details.
The temperature in Edmonton hit 33 C on Tuesday and felt like 43 C with humidity levels.
A funeral was being held Wednesday for a two-year-old Ontario boy, who died last week after being left alone in a sweltering car in Milton, west of Toronto.
Neighbours in a townhouse complex near 29 Street and 116A Avenue said they heard sirens and saw paramedics performing CPR on the young child in the doorway of the home, the Edmonton Journal reports.
“My heart dropped. I have three kids, young like that,” neighbour Josh Scott told the Journal.
Police would not confirm who was caring for the child - who was seen carried out on a stretcher - at the time of the incident, the Journal added.
The incident came mere hours after the Edmonton Police Service put out a call about the dangers of leaving children unattended in vehicles.
"It's already extremely hot (Tuesday); the temperature in a car is even hotter than the temperatures outside. Leaving a child unattended for any amount of time is very dangerous," acting Sgt. Barry Fairhurst, with the Child at Risk Response Team, was quoted by the Edmonton Sun as saying.
"It doesn't matter if the windows are cracked open or if it's just for a few minutes. Police take this type of behaviour very seriously and we will lay charges if they are warranted."
The investigation into the incident is continuing and no charges have been laid up to this point.
There was also a close call with three other kids in South Edmonton Common on Tuesday, when someone called police after hearing the children crying from outside a vehicle with the sunroof open, iNews 880 reports.
"A moment of convenience isn't worth a lifetime of regret," said EPS Sgt. Barry Fairhurst to iNews 880.
With files the Canadian Press
Also on HuffPost