Workers at a Calgary animal shelter were shocked after they discovered a seven-week-old puppy suffering from severe burns.
The puppy, who has been given the name Nero, was abandoned in Saskatchewan and brought in to the Calgary shelter.
"Even seasoned rescuers were shocked beyond belief," said the Alberta Animal Rescue Crew Society (AARCS) in a statement.
"We got a call from a citizen who had found him. He had severe burns on his head and face," Deanna Thompson, with AARCS, told 660News.
He underwent surgery in Calgary on Friday, and the burns were so serious that Nero lost one ear, 660News adds.
Thompson told the Calgary Herald she suspects something flammable was poured on the animal and was ignited.
She said the Saskatchewan SPCA has also been notified.
The puppy will require weeks of recovery, and AARCS says they hope he won’t have life-long injuries to his eyes.
"We are trying to find out who did this, but it doesn’t look promising as he was found abandoned," they added.
Donations for Nero can be made through the AARCS website.
Also on HuffPost