A Calgary man is in serious condition after being stabbed while trying to sell a used cellphone to a buyer he met through Kijiji, say police.
Officers responded to a call around 10:30 p.m. Sunday after reports that a person had been stabbed in the RBC parking lot in Shawnessy.
Investigators say the 21-year-old victim was stabbed in the chest after he got into a white SUV, where police believe he was meeting a potential buyer for a phone he had listed on the online classifieds site.
The man's girlfriend picked him up and drove him to the South Health Campus, where she called police. He was transported to Foothills Hospital in life-threatening condition.
Police say they have been unable to interview the man due to the severity of his injuries.
No one has been arrested and police are continuing their investigation.
Calgarians are reminded of the following safety tips when buying or selling items through online classified ad websites:
- When buying or selling items, you should meet in-person to inspect the product and exchange funds. Meet in a public place with many people around. Stay visible, in well-lit areas.
- There is safety in numbers, so bring at least one person with you.
- Prior to meeting anyone, make sure you have their name and contact information, not just an email address.
- Do not bring large amounts of cash to a first meeting.
- Trust your instincts. If something appears too good to be true, it probably is.
- Do not give out personal or banking information (such as social insurance number, bank account number) over the Internet.
Also on HuffPost