“Beetlejuice” is getting a sequel, and fans can thank Winona Ryder for the confirmation.
Ryder revealed the news to “Late Night” host Seth Meyers on Monday.
“Um, I think I can confirm it, because Tim Burton did this interview,” Ryder said.
“Like, it was very hush hush, top secret ... and then he was doing some press for ‘Big Eyes’ and he did an on-camera interview and he said, ‘Oh yeah, we’re doing it and Winona’s going to be in it.’”
The update is the most significant piece of evidence yet that a sequel to the beloved 1988 classic is actually underway. But it’s unclear what level of production the film is at or if a studio has yet to commit to the project.
Talking with HuffPost Live earlier this year, Ryder stopped short of giving a firm confirmation that a sequel is happening after years of speculation.
“As far as I know, it’s gonna happen,” she said at the time.
Director Tim Burton himself has also weighed in on the rumours, hinting “Beetlejuice 2” is “closer than ever.”
In an interview with IGN in December, Burton had said there’s something “cathartic and amazing” about the prospect of working with actor Michael Keaton again.
“There’s only one Beetlejuice, and that’s Michael,” he said. “There’s a script, and I would love to work with him again. I think there is now a better chance than ever .. I miss that character.
“I think it’s closer than ever.”
Also on HuffPost: