Two convenience store clerks who were killed Friday after a pair of robberies in Edmonton leave behind children and grieving partners.
Karanpal Singh Bhangu, 35, and Ricky Massin Cenabre, 41, were each working alone at separate Mill Woods Mac's stores when they were shot by masked robbers, police said.
Bhangu was hit in the stomach and rushed to hospital, but later died of his injuries.
Cenabre's body was discovered when a delivery man found a trail of blood leading to a storage room at the second store. Cenabre was pronounced dead at the scene.
Bhangu's widow 'in shock'
Bhangu and his six-year-old son, Royce, immigrated to Edmonton from India to be with Bhangu's wife, Kiran, a few months ago.
Staff at Edmonton's Progressive Academy, where Kiran works as a kindergarten teacher, have started a GoFundMe page to support the family.
Bhangu, left, and his family. (Photo: GoFundMe)
“[Kiran]'s in shock. There are just a million different things going through her head," David Eifert, the principal of Progressive Academy, told Global News.
Cenabre 'very family-oriented'
Cenabre, who was originally from the Philippines, had been living in Canada with his common-law wife and a teenaged son for about four or five years.
"He was a good person, quiet. During our conversations, he said when he gets his permanent residency, he was going to enlist in the military,'' Ephraim Holganza, who knew Cenabre through the Filipino community, said.
Ricky Cenabre. (Photo: GoFundMe)
A second GoFundMe fundraiser has been set up to support Cenabre's family. The campaign page described the father as a "humble and very family-oriented person who just wanted a good life in Canada."
Three suspects in the shootings were charged with first-degree murder Saturday, Edmonton police said.
Laylin Delorme, 24, Colton Steinhauer, 27, and a 13-year-old boy, who can't be named due to his age, were arrested Friday. All three have criminal records, according to police.
"This was a barbaric and gratuitous act of violence upon two innocent persons resulting in a senseless loss of life," Edmonton police Chief Rod Knecht said after the shootings.
He went on to describe the crimes as "over-the-top violence, absolutely unnecessary, gratuitous — evil."
No court date has been set for the suspects.
With files from The Canadian Press