Huffpost Canada ca

Boys Drown In Washing Machine In Rohini, India

Posted: Updated:
Print

A family in India is grieving the deaths of three-year-old twins after they drowned in a top-loading washing machine.

Nishant and Nakshya climbed in after they were left unsupervised on Saturday, according to NDTV.

The tragedy happened in the city of Rohini after the boys’ mother, Rakhi, stepped out of the house to buy some laundry detergent, according to the Hindustan Times.

She had filled up the machine with water and undressed her sons to ready them for a bath, according to the Times.

But when she came back just six minutes later, she couldn’t find them, according to the Indian Express. The twins’ father found them inside the machine half an hour after they went missing, drowned in 15 litres of water.

Ravinder was "shocked" when doctors pronounced the boys dead, Rohini deputy commissioner of police MN Tiwari said, according to NDTV.

Tiwari said it appeared they had climbed a pile of clothes next to the machine to see what was inside and fell in head first.

"The second child must have followed his brother," he told the Hindustan Times.

"Since both of them fell head on, they were choked. There was no way they could have come out."

"Since both of them fell head on, they were choked. There was no way they could have come out."

The family declined a post-mortem examination, according to the Indian Express.

Although officers found no evidence of foul play, an inquest may still be conducted into the "unfortunate incident."