Finance Minister Bill Morneau joined us for a live digital town hall hosted by The Huffington Post Canada on our Facebook page.
Topics included jobs, housing, taxes, and of course, the budget.
Some highlights of the 2017 federal budget include:
• Deficit is at $23 billion
• Public transit tax credit is gone as of July 1
• Higher taxes on alcohol and tobacco
• $7 billion over 10 years for families, including 40,000 new subsidized daycare spaces by 2019, extended parental leave
• $11.2 billion to cities and provinces for affordable housing over 10 years
• National database to track housing purchases, sales, demographics, foreign ownership
• Canada Savings Bond program, which started in 1946, being phased out
• EI premiums going up five cents to $1.68 per every $100 of insurable earnings