Have you ever watched young children play? The absolute joy they have on their faces as they jump on a trampoline or swing as high as they can or jump in the puddles after a rain storm is just a wonder to behold in my opinion. Even today, as I sit in my home office and write this story, the rain is coming down in buckets and the kids walking by are having a blast dodging rain drops and jumping puddles. I love that exuberance and enthusiasm: that joie de vivre that is so inherent in kids.
You know, somewhere long ago we were like those kids. Passionate about something, laissez faire attitudes blowing in the wind with the kiites we'd build out of string and paper. What happened to that: to us being fun and happy and joyful? Life my friends got in the way: the obligations, the "shoulds", the expecations from our family, friends and teachers, they all piled up and became the belief of choice.
I meet a lot of people who are either unhappy with their career choice or just plain unhappy with life. There's a feeling of confusion, of being lost, of having lost oneself somewhere along the way. Do you know that person? Maybe you are that person.
The good news is it's a simple fix to turn that around. It's simple but it's not easy. Here's what to do in 5 easy steps.
1. Acknowledge that you're not that happy with your current circumstance
2. Stop to consider what it is you're not happy about
3. Don't make anybody else responsible for your unhappiness
4. Find a quiet place to just reflect for an hour or two
5. Go back to your most perfect day when you were six or seven, remember that feeling and tap back into it. Go play on a swing, jump in a puddle, flip on a trampoline, blow bubbles, fly a kite, climb a tree, laugh a LOT
Start with these five simple steps to get you back to happy and, hey, have fun with it ok?