Mother's Day is almost here, and many of us are still scrambling for a meaningful gift. It's not an easy task to pick out an original present for the special ladies in our lives. For many, it can even be stressful finding a memento for the women we perceive to have everything.
So for everyone still searching, I recommend putting multiple heads together and making this a family activity by involving the kiddies in the process. This special tradition presents a perfect occasion to re-inforce teachable moments into the Mother's Day shopping experience. You don't have to break the bank to show your gratitude, nor a lot of time. All you need is some creativity.
Here are 11 gift ideas that mom will love:
1) DIY homemade gifts - A mother will always tell you that it's the thought that counts. Personalized gifts, cards, and artwork from children are always a safe bet. The options are endless, and the odds are that mom will hold on to these keepsakes forever. To illustrate this point, as a child, I made my mother a personalized coupon book which she still has. While most pages have been torn out, a few have been left unredeemed, making me wonder if she is going to finally call in that foot massage!
2) Personal item tracker - For someone busy on the go, it can be easy to misplace things. Give a techie gadget with Tile, a personal item tracker that will ensure mom can find her keys, phone, wallet - or any other item of importance. STEM is all the rage in the education world, and students will be fascinated by this present.
3) The gift of reading - Is your mother a bookworm? When moms model their love for reading, this sets a great example for little learners. Not to fret if you don't know what's on her wish list. You can't go wrong with gift cards to Indigo, Canada's biggest bookstore. They also come in all denominations and sizes.
4) Personalized name labels - If you believe that labels are just for kids, then think again. What better way to reinforce the importance of organization than with Adult Labels from Mabel's Labels? This is something I gave my mother-in-law when her Tupperware was disappearing at an alarming rate. This problem has been solved with fun personalized labels, so she can dish out her leftovers without fear.
5) Adult colouring books - For the artistic mom who loves to colour, you can include an adult colouring book and a pack of pencil crayons from Staples. Adult colouring books are a growing trend, as many enthusiasts claim colouring helps them relax and unwind. After all, children are not the only ones who need fun activities and breaks.
6) Herb garden kit - If you are tired of giving flowers, consider an herb garden kit. This gift is perfect for cooking and adds a splash of colour to the kitchen. They also come at affordable price points and can easily be found in stores and farmers markets. Hint to my family, this is what I am secretly hoping for.
7) Specialty cookbooks - Sticking with the cooking theme, pick out some niche cookbooks for mom. They are more specialized than ever before and can be customized to match her interests and tastes. For the mom who loves veggies, check out the Oh She Glows series and Naturally Nourished. If the goal is a health and energy boost, try Detox Waters and Energy Balls. Lastly, if your mom has a sweet tooth, look out for Guilt-Free Nice Cream. Another option for kids with culinary flair is to check out cookbooks from the library or recipes from mom's new book to prepare a Mother's Day meal.
8) Theatre tickets - For the mom who loves the big stage, consider the gift of entertainment. This can be tickets to a professional production, community theatre, or a local school play. Living in Toronto, I am a huge fan of Mirvish productions. Recently I went to see The Bodyguard at the Ed Mirvish Theatre. If you have not seen it yet, it's still running until Mother's Day. To infuse some education into the experience, compare the classic movie with Whitney Houston to the musical. What better way to show mom that "I will always love you."
9) Personalized gifts and local crafts - Check out your neighbourhood for local products, services and customized items. Students (and their parents) can sometimes even meet the artisans and entrepreneurs and hear their stories, while supporting local businesses at the same time. I am a huge fan of La Vela Bella featuring handmade candles created in antique teacups, tins and mason jars that can be personalized with messages for Mother's Day.
10) Canadian inspired presents - Our country's 150th birthday is around the corner, and Canadian themed presents come with great teachable moments. This can extend to so many items: books, gourmet food items, and artisan jewellery, just to name a few. Check out Happiness Is... for some very cool patriotic clothing and an amazing Canadian story behind it.
11) Charitable gifts and volunteer experiences - For the mom who has everything, consider making a charitable donation or finding a community service initiative to experience together. Donate to a cause that supports mothers and children, or a charity that is significant to her. For the ultimate bonding experience, consider volunteering as a family which can be a lot of fun while giving back to the community at the same time.
What would you add to the list?
Follow HuffPost Canada Blogs on Facebook
Also on HuffPost:
We know we said flowers are predictable, but these long-lasting boxed roses from Toronto-based Euphorie Des Fleurs are such a unique alternative to the traditional bouquet that we couldn't leave them out. Using a special preservation technique, the company's infinity roses last for up to one year! Get it here: Baby Pink Infinity Arrangement, $225.00
With Canada's 150th birthday upon us, Canadiana is everywhere. Forego the maple leaf motif and give your patriotic mama a beautiful, hand-crafted item made by the artisans of Fogo Island. Home to one of Canada's oldest and most remote communities, local artisans are informed by centuries-old boat building, furniture making, and crafting techniques. Treasures like this birch tray were originally made for the island's eponymous inn and are now available online through the Fogo Island Shop. Get it here: Fogo Island Shop Wood Tray, $95
Show her how well you know her taste in music by giving her a set of ceramic coasters featuring her favourite rock icon. Don't see your mom's musical crush in the shop? Don't sweat it. Upcycling It loves sourcing custom requests from their legendary library of vintage books, albums and magazines. We'll take a Woodstock-era Joe Cocker set, please! Get it here: Not Your Grandma's Coasters, $45/set of four
It's always a treat to receive something you wouldn't typically buy for yourself and the makings of a luxurious bath are likely far down on your mom's priority list. Plus, this funny bath bomb from Consonant Skincare just about says it all. Get it here: Relax Bath Bomb, $9
If your mom loves to knit or crochet, she'll appreciate this hand-crafted bowl that prevents the ball of yarn she's working with from rolling away and tangling. It looks cute enough to leave out when she's taking a break from her project, too! Get it here: Wheel-thrown Yarn Bowl, $45
Help your mom show off her green thumb with this macramé plant holder. The retro holder will show off a favourite potted plant — and have her reminiscing about the groovy seventies. Get it here: Macramé Plant Holder, $38
If there's one thing your mom really wants for Mother's Day, it's probably just to see your face. But if distance prevents you from being together, give her a laugh by sending a cookie in your likeness. We can't get over the artistry of Eat My Sweet Face cookies. Simply send them a few shots of your face and they'll ship your cookie anywhere in Canada. Get it here: Eat My Sweet Face Portrait Cookies, $35 each or $60 for two
Make your mom feel like the beauty she is with something from the new Charlotte Gainsbourg for NARS Collection. The Multiple Tint is the ultimate gift for moms who value efficiency (so, all of us) because the sheer colour can be used on both lips and cheeks. Our pick is the Multiple Tint in Jo because it's the perfect light pink for a pared-down summer face. Get it here: NARS Multiple Tint in Jo, $49 (available in May)
We love cool gadgets around here so you know we had to feature this flour-shaking rolling pin for all those moms who have a way with the oven. All she has to do is fill the cavity in the centre of the pin with flour and shake out a little at a time to quickly and easily dust surfaces. Plus, the ingenious built-in ruler ensures that her crusts will always fit the diameter of her pie plate. Get it here: Flour-Shaking Rolling Pin, $28.04
This handbag by Canadian company Poppy & Peonies essentially arms your mom with every style she'll need to take her through spring and summer. The vegan leather Multi Chic can be worn two different ways: as a clutch or as a cross-body with either one of two removable straps (a chain strap for dressier occasions and an adjustable vegan leather strap for everyday wear). Plus, the front flap is interchangeable and can be swapped out for five additional colours (sold separately). Get it here: The Multi Chic Nude, $99
If wearing a rubber fitness tracker on her wrist isn't your mom's style, but she'd still like to make sure her daily step count hit 10,000, she needs Ringly. The discreet activity tracker looks like a trendy, oversized gemstone ring, but it does everything a typical fitness tracker does, including communicating mobile alerts via subtle vibrations and light. Get it here: Ringly Smart Ring Activity Tracker, $219.95
Any home décor-obsessed mom will love the opportunity to make her backyard an extension of her chic interior, which is why this elegant bird feeder is perfect. The diamond feeder is made from brass and glass and accommodates all bird species. Get it here: Diamond Bird Feeder, $130
At first glance, these plates look like antique fine china, but they are actually break-resistant melamine, making them a must-have for the mom who entertains outside in the summer. Get it here: Vintage-Inspired Melamine Plates, $4.99 each
These Saturn white wine glasses actually prevent spills, so basically they are every mom's dream. The glasses can either stand upright or rotate in a circle on their sides, remaining spill-proof while holding up to five ounces of liquid. The perfect marriage of function and form, the good-looking glasses are even dishwasher safe! Pair a set with a bottle of mom's favourite white wine for a Mother's Day gift she can truly savour. Get it here: Saturn White Wine Glasses, $96.54/set of two
The word "mom" is synonymous with "busy," so we know yours will be down with a gadget that saves her time. This hair iron delivers perfect curls every time, minus the kind of know-how required by a wand. It also has three different time settings that allows you to choose between a looser wave and a more defined curl. But the real bonus here is the added shine, care of the frizz-fighting tourmaline ceramic-coated barrel. It's a no-brainer for moms who want to look and feel their best without sacrificing their entire morning to do so. Get it here: Curl Secret infinitiPro by Conair, $119
Follow Joanne Sallay on Twitter: www.twitter.com/TeachersonCall_