If there is anything more important than a suit when it comes to men's fashion, I'm not sure what it would be. Except maybe fashion sense in general.
I have none of the latter, fortunately you can be the former. You can also buy fashion sense, sort of. Well, like anything, you can get an expert to help. Why do you need help? If you are like me, or a large percent of guys out there who either don't own a suit (me) or you own a badly fitting suit (probably you, if you bought it yourself), then you need to go enlist a professional to stop you from buying the wrong suit.
This isn't as simple as colour, and then out the door. Nothing ever is in the fashion world. Boys, we have a tendency to rush over the finer details. That leaves us with a look that is less than ideal.
Suits are usually worn in places we are trying to make a solid first impression, I've not typically thought I should wear a suit to a wing night with the boys. It's more office attire, or big gala event wear.
So why not plan to take a few minutes, get fit properly, and then make a first impression like no one else?
Here is how the suit world works. You have to make considerations on
- Two or three pieces -- do you include a vest?
- Lapels -- how wide? Style? (There are notches and peaks as well... I got lost.)
- Pockets -- flap pocket or no? Straight, slanted or Besom? There are words in the English language that apply strictly to suit style?
- The belt -- this is hugely important, it finishes the look.
- The fit -- getting measured up for a suit is critical to success. If the right suit hangs wrong, all is lost.
This is just the tip of the iceberg. Once you get everything decided, then comes colour. That colour is just the suit. Never mind the tie, or the shirt! On the massive plus side, changing the shirt and tie changes the suit. So, you can re-wear a solid suit multiple times.
Once you get it all together, the product is hopefully a well put together gentlemen. That put together look will help in the most important areas of life.
1) Getting ideas heard in the board room
2) Turning heads at events
3) Making it look like you've got it all together
The more I explore fashion, and the more I use it, the more I realize that it truly is a secret weapon most men leave...on the shelf.
Make sure you leave time in your life to work with a professional. Here's my finished product thanks to Mallabar Apparels
Suggest a correction