What is matcha all about and why is everyone calling it a superfood? Matcha is a fine, green tea powder originating from Japan, but unlike traditional green tea leaves that are steeped, the entire leaf is harvested, processed and consumed.
5 Nutrition Benefits of Matcha:
- Abundant Antioxidants: Matcha is loaded with antioxidants called polyphenols, which have been linked to a decreased risk of cancer and heart disease. In addition, antioxidants fight off reactive oxygen species in the body that wreak havoc on body cells. In short, antioxidants protect and prevent cells from oxidative damage.
- Immune Support: Due to the health-boosting antioxidants, amino acids and other compounds contained in matcha, research suggests that matcha has an anti-inflammatory effect on the body and may boost overall immune responses.
- Mood boosting: Research suggests that the serotonin and the amino acid L-theanine found in matcha may help to lower anxiety and boost one's overall mood.
- Heart Healthy: Out with the bad, in with the good. Studies show that the antioxidants found in matcha may work to disrupt cholesterol absorption from food in the gastrointestinal tract, therefore contributing to lower LDL (bad cholesterol) levels circulating through the blood.
- Pick Me Up: One cup of matcha contains roughly 68mg of caffeine, while its traditional green tea counterpart only contains 32mg. Compared to a cup of black coffee (which contains around 100mg of caffeine), matcha could be a good alternative for an energy fix!
With all these benefits, I HAD to develop a smoothie recipe and I honestly can't get enough of it lately. It is creamy, delicious, filling and as a major bonus -- especially for those of you who have a hard time rolling out of bed in the morning -- the caffeine boost.
Creamy Matcha Smoothie
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp Vanilla Matcha powder
- 1/3 avocado
- 1 banana, sliced and frozen
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- handful of greens * optional
1. Combine all ingredients in the blender and blend on high until smooth, about 1 minute.
2. Serve immediately and enjoy!
Follow HuffPost Canada Blogs on Facebook
MORE ON HUFFPOST:
Get the Matcha Tiramisu recipe by Oh, How Civilized
Get the Matcha Yogurt Breakfast Bowl recipe by Food To Glow
Get the Matcha Coconut Latte recipe by Love & Lemons
Get the Matcha Mochi Cupcakes recipe by Tiny Urban Kitchen
Get the Matcha Mochi Yogurt Pops recipe by my name is yeh
Get the Matcha Pancakes recipe by Diane, A Broad
Get the Rich Little Brownies With Matcha Glaze recipe by my name is yeh
Get the Mango Green Tea Pops recipe by Minimalist Baker
Get the Matcha Smoothie With 'Cream Top' Almond Milk recipe from Food52
Get the Matcha Shortbread Cookies recipe by Two Red Bowls
Get the Matcha Green Tea Chia Pudding recipe by Choosing Raw
Get the Matcha Ice Cream With Yuzu Citrus recipe from Food52
Get the Keroppi Matcha Macaron recipe by Bento, Monsters
Get the Green Tea Souffle recipe by Just One Cookbook
Get the Matcha Truffles recipe by Oh, How Civilized
Follow Lindsay Jang on Twitter: www.twitter.com/LindsayJangRD