I do my best to steer clear from the peeps who call themselves "nutrition experts" and then promote processed crap. Now I am not into judging or labelling or any of that jazz, but sometimes it builds up and gets tough to ignore.
All of this makes me want to change my job title to avoid being lumped together with this nonsense.
Instead, I will offer you some real food. It is not a THIS versus THAT issue -- it is more about common sense, trusting your instincts, staying away from packaged food as much as possible and keeping it whole.
This was lifted from somewhere and sent over to me:
The healthiness of your diet is determined by what you DON'T eat -- not by what you do eat... "Superfoods" typically have some various vitamins and compounds that are good and so feel free to include them as part of your normal diet. BUT if you are just adding a superfood to a crappy diet and expecting that to do the work for you, you will be disappointed.
Now then, we can pretend that the THAT here is a bran muffin, an Egg McMuffin, toast and cheese, fried eggs and bacon, pancakes, waffles, a milkshake disguised as a smoothie, or deli meats. It doesn't really matter. Great health-promoting foods don't need to be leaned up against crap to be great; they are just great for being great. Love it, right?
10 Reasons THIS Is a Better Breakfast Than THAT
- Raw, live, enzyme-rich component of fresh seasonal fruit (in this case, an apple).
- Raw, live enzyme-rich and probiotic goodness from a fermented yogurt (in this case, coconut kefir)
- Diverse sources of plant-based proteins (hemp seeds, yogurt, and Sunwarrior protein powder)
- Dash of fresh cinnamon for blood sugar balance
- Ideal balance of omega-3 to omega-6 in the hemp seeds for anti-inflammatory benefit
- Drizzle of low-glycemic coconut syrup as a sweetener.
- This is 100 per cent gluten-free
- No cook time required.
- Made from scratch.
So there you go. No need to look for the lesser of two evils -- just go straight for the goods. No need to take the reading glasses to the supermarket, no health claims or "nutrition experts" needed to know that THIS breakfast is better than THAT. It just is and common sense will tell you that!
Apple Yogurt Breakfast Parfait
Ingredients (1 serving)
- 1 apple, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup coconut kefir or organic sheep milk yogurt
- 1/2-1 Tbs Sunwarrior protein powder (optional)
- 1-2 Tbs hemp seeds
- Dash of cinnamon
- Coconut syrup to sweeten
- Add apples to bowl, dollop on coconut kefir or yogurt with optional protein powder mixed in.
- Sprinkle with hemp seeds and cinnamon.
- Drizzle with coconut syrup.