We've had some busy times around here the last few weeks and in amongst all of that, my husband and I decided it was also the perfect time to take on a little spring cleaning -- starting with our bods. I'd be hard-pressed to call this a cleanse, as I suppose our normal diet being dairy-free, gluten-free and void of any processed ingredients is pretty clean to start with.
The biggest change for us was eliminating all grains and sugars like honey, maple syrup, coconut sugar and avoiding juiced fruits in our green juices.
We took on a few more regular cleansing practices like infrared saunas, enemas, skin brushing, yoga that focused more on stretching, twisting and breathing, meditating daily and semi-successful attempts to go to sleep earlier.
The result? Turns out we're those weirdo health food people.
All those things I've been saying for the last seven years about how our tastes change? Well, it's true. Like seriously true. I haven't missed sugar one bit. For an evening snack we've become those people who love a fresh orange or sliced apple with cinnamon -- where previously we'd nerdily each enjoy a square of chocolate.
What saved us through all of this, I believe, is this most awesome grain-free almond bread. This was one of the first ever recipes I created for my blog, and it has since gone through numerous variations.
I have been loving this bread with pretty much everything on it. Pictured above is a simple bruschetta mix with chopped heirloom tomatoes, fresh basil, some minced garlic, olive oil and sea salt.
At last, however, I think this is the winning formulation. Enjoy!
Grain-Free Almond Bread
Recipe Type: Baking
Author: Meghan Telpner
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 50 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 5 minutes
Serves: 1 loaf
A simple grain-free almond bread that will replace your favourite bread.
- ½ cup cashew cream* or organic yogurt
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2½ cups whole raw almonds
- 1/ 4 cup pumpkin seeds
- ¼ cup sunflower seeds
- ¼ cup chia seeds
- ¼ cup arrowroot starch
- 2¼ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 3 large eggs, or 2 servings of chia paste
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbs coconut syrup (optional)
- 2 Tbs sesame seeds (sprinkled on top)
- 1 Tsp rock salt (sprinkled on top)
- *Cashew Cream- blend 1 part soaked cashews with 2 parts water
Make It Like So:
- Preheat the oven to 325. Grease and dust a loaf pan.
- Mix together cashew cream and cider vinegar and set aside.
- Grind almonds, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds and chia seeds in a food processor, coffee grinder or high speed blender until you have a fine meal.
- Transfer to a bowl and stir in starch, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the wet ingredients - eggs/chia paste, cashew cream, oil, and coconut syrup.
- Mix wet and dry together until there are no lumps, but don't over-mix. Pour into the pan and smooth the top. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and rock salt.
- Bake for about 45-50 minutes - until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and feels firm when you press down. Allow bread to sit for about 5 minutes before removing it to a cooling rack.
- Best stored wrapped in the fridge.
I have a feeling you're going to want to make this bread. It's such a winner. If you do- please share your creation with me on Instagram (you can follow me here) and let me know what you are topping your bread with!
As for my spring cleansing -- the next thing I'm going to be tackling is, well, my closet. Time to put the winter stuff away, donate the gems I'm done with, and bring out the light and fresh spring T's and dresses.
Do you have any spring cleansing rituals?
ALSO ON HUFFPOST: