Bloomberg via Getty Images
Vinay_Bavdekar via Getty Images
The U.S. Department of Commerce announced a tariff of more than 200 per cent on Bombardier's C-Series regional jet.
If city charters are passed without true consent from the people, our fate is clear. We can expect new taxes, new levies, new fees, without change set aside to even afford new pants with deeper pockets. Our premier should do the right thing and put any new city taxes to a referendum.
Canadians and their federal government would save money by raising tenfold the amount consumers can spend on cross-border purchases before having to pay taxes and tariffs, a new report says. The repo...
The 21st century resembles the 19th century -- not in the size of government but in the obvious tussles between special interests and the general interest.
By design, free trade agreements tear down the protectionist walls propping up status quo producers. However, even those producers -- at least those who reform, will also find a newfound ability to thrive given increased access to markets with tens of millions, or hundreds of millions, of potential new customers. All of this benefits consumers, most obviously when expensive tariffs on their choices, from Korean cars to Canadian beef, are eliminated.
In the recent throne speech, the federal government announced a variety of initiatives but the one that drew much attention was its ostensible consumer-friendly tack. To help consumers, especially those with the lowest incomes, the federal government doesn't need to micro-manage airline tickets. It could instead focus on the big picture.
Regrettably, when it comes to government policy, the interests of consumers are often neglected. If governments are interested in what's best for consumers, here's a simple suggestion: stop favouring existing producers and players, be they government-owned corporations or private sector corporations. If governments wish to actually favour the average consumer, they must abandon their habit of protecting existing cartels, producers and vested status quo interests, over the more invisible but most important interest: the consumer.
VANCOUVER — Ottawa is warning it may impose tariffs on everything from orange juice to bread if the United States doesn't change a meat-labelling policy that Canadian beef and pork industries say is c...
The NDP is asking a House committee to study the impact of tariff increases included in this year's budget, including what's come to be known as the iPod tax. Consumer affairs critic Glenn Thibeault...
OTTAWA - The federal government is tightening up tariffs on imported products such as televisions and iPods that receive a special exemption when used with computers.Importers owe about $16 million fr...
OTTAWA - Canadians will be paying hundreds of millions of dollars more on everything from food to bicycles because of a little-noticed change in tariffs Ottawa places on imports from emerging nations...
Whenever Canadians cross the border, it is inevitable they will find cheaper goods in the United States. There is a reason that helps explain part of the price differences: $3.6 billion in customs tariffs. All consumers would benefit from more competition and an end to anti-consumer tariffs. But more importantly, low-income Canadians would benefit the most.
Canada's entry into the Trans-Pacific Partnership negotiations last week has been hailed as a new direction for the country's trade policy. It would be wise for Canadian policy makers to also bring to the table new views on trade. Canada's position on trade has been based on clear national identities ("Made in Canada"). But countries are more and more relying on imported inputs to produce their exports. For instance, Canada produces only 70 per cent of its exports value at home, with imported inputs accounting for the remaining 30 per cent.
OTTAWA - Federal Finance Minister Jim Flaherty is prepared to look at reducing tariffs and to use "informal persuasive powers" if needed to bridge the Canada-U.S. price gap on consumer goods.The finan...