Tributes for the legendary David Bowie filled social media Sunday night, hailing the late musician as a hero, a genius, and an inspiration.
Bowie's passing was announced late Sunday night. He died "peacefully" and was surrounded by family after an 18-month battle with cancer, a representative said.
Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, later confirmed his father's death and shared an old family photo on Twitter.
As the news spread, tributes began filling the Internet from celebrities, politicians, and fans.
Ricky Gervais, who hosted the Golden Globes only hours earlier, shared his grief.
Bowie's death came less than a week after the release of his album, "Black Star," which was also his 69th birthday.
- Music Legend Dies After Battle With Cancer
- Chris Hadfield Pays Tribute To One Of HIS Heroes, David Bowie
- Bowie's Final Video Was His Message To The World About Death
- David Bowie Was More Than Just A Style Icon
- Artist Captures David Bowie's Style Brilliantly
- Iconic Images Of David Bowie With His Kids
- Tributes Pour In For 'One Of The Greatest Performance Artists To Have Ever Lived'
- David Bowie, Iman Had 'Fabulous' Marriage